On: 1 May 2018
- Scientific name: Melopsittacus undulatus
- Common name: Budgerigar or Budgie
- Country of Origin: Australia
- Conservation Status: Least concern (population abundant)as listed with IUCN.
- Average Life Span: 5 – 15 years
- Size: upto 18 cm, 30 - 40g
- Minimum cage size: 24 inch excercise cage
- Diet: 80-90% Fruit and pellets with 10-20% seed blend
- Care level: Easy, Beginner
- Temperament: Playful and Active
- Special requirements: Warm sunny spot with no draught
Budgerigars, also known as budgies or parakeets, are a lovely addition to any home. They can become a wonderful companion bird for anyone of any age. They are low cost, low maintenance and low impact on your home. Their colour range is beautiful and so is their voice, once found they will fill your house with chatter. If you have the patience they can become quite the talkers.