On: 14 June 2018
- Scientific name: Ancistrus Cirrhosus
- Common name: Bristlenose Catfish
- Region of Origin: South America, Amazon River
- Average Life Span: 5+ years
- Size: up to 15cm
- Minimum tank size: 60 litres
- pH: 6.8 – 7.8
- Temperature: 24°C- 28°C
- Care Level: Beginner to Intermediate
- Temperament: Peaceful, generally mind their own business. Male Bristlenose can be combative with other males if there is limited space or caves.
- Tank mates: Suitable to live with most kinds of fish, consideration should be taken into suitable water parameters of tank mates.
- Special notes: While Bristlenose eat a wide variety of algae, it is highly recommended that their diet be supplemented with algae wafers. They will greatly benefit from driftwood in your aquarium snacking on the microflora and microfauna that grow on its surface.
They’re a fan favourite wherever you go despite having a face only a mother could love. Bristlenose catfish are a fantastic addition to any tropical fresh water community fish tank and they’re not only interesting, they also pull their weight! Bristlenose catfish are great algae eaters and will help keep algae levels to a minimum. Pet City Aquarium section recommends keeping your bristles well fed on algae wafers to ensure they’re getting plenty of food to grow up big and strong, even up to 15cm! Bristlenose catfish are so named for the large bushy bristles that grow on the faces of the male of the species. Drop in store and chat to our staff about these fishy felines and see if they’re a good fit for your fish tank and check out the link below for our Quick Facts and recommended products.